22 Domestic Witch Tips, Charms, and Omens
Another Witchy Housekeeping post this is a list of tid-bits that I find useful in aiding the Domestic Witch in creating a comfortably witchy home.
- Spray a bit of perfume, drops of essential oils, or room spray on light bulbs to make a room smell fresh and add a magickal aura according to the sent you’ve chosen. Make sure you do this while the light is off otherwise the light bulb will likely explode.
- Keeping an acorn at your window will keep lightning from striking.
- Keep a Kitchen Witch (Cottage Witch) doll in your kitchen to bring good luck and to keep away any ill meaning spirits.
- Spilling water on your tablecloth means a storm is coming. The same is true of a coffee pot that keeps boiling over.
- Burn a candle on your stove to symbolize the hearth fire of the past. This honors your patron kitchen Goddess and fills your home with love. Candles have a longer burning life if you place them in the freezer for a few hours before lighting them.
- To keep an unwanted visitor from returning sweep whatever room or rooms they were in as soon as they leave your home.
- Never sweep your kitchen after the sun goes down.
- Two yolks in an egg foretell a marriage.
- Cakes should be baked while the sun is rising.
- Never turn a loaf of bread upside down after it has been cut.
- It’s good luck to receive a loaf of bread as a house-warming present.
- To throw away bread is to throw away any potential luck and prosperity that would come to your home, instead make breadcrumbs or feed it to the birds.
- If a ring of rice forms around the edge of a pot it means money is coming.
- Wine leftover from ritual…freeze it in ice cube trays then add a cube or two to gravies, sauces, and casseroles as needed.
- To make your food taste better keep a quartz crystal on or near your stove.
- When given a plant as a gift you should not say thank you or the plant will die.
- Those looking for love should place a pot of basil on their windowsill.
- Rosemary can be placed under pillows to ward of evil spirits.
- In ancient times it was believed that in gardens “where rosemary flourished, the woman ruled.”
- Lavender can be placed under the mattress to bring passion to the marital bed or hung on a bedpost for protection.
- Growing ivy in your home guards against disaster.
- Grow a spider plant (chlorophytum comosum) in a space you want to purify.
This blog is from my site Raven Rin's Pagan Nest http://ravenrinspagannest.blogspot.com.
I must say that since writing this blog post I've been keeping a piece of quartz crystal on my stove and it does seem to make everything made on that stove taste better regardless of the person's cooking skills.